Common Errors in English Usage with Explanations - Part 30

July 9, 2016    

sponsored links

  1.  
    • Rita was as good a singer as her.   (wrong)
    • Rita was as good a singer as she.   (correct)
      • Explanation : 'She' is the subject of the deleted predicate 'was a good singer'. 
  2.  
    • You cannot tell us people what to drink.  (wrong)
    • You cannot tell we people what to drink.   (wrong)
    • You cannot tell us what to drink.   (correct)
      • Explanation : In 'us', 'people' is redundant. 
  3.  
    • Though he is fat yet he runs fast.   (wrong)
    • Though he is fat, her runs fast.   (correct)
      • Explanation : 'Though' is the conjunction and a second conjunction - 'but', 'yet' or 'still' is not required. 
  4.  
    • If he is fat then he will run slowly.   (wrong)
    • If he is fat, he will run slowly.   (correct)
      • Explanation : In a conditional clause, the consequent clause need not have 'then'. 
  5.  
    • As I fired at the tiger at that time he shook my arm.  (wrong)
    • As I fired at the tiger, he shook my arm.  (correct)
      • Explanation : The first clause refers to a point of time, its repetition (at that time) is redundant. 
  6.  
    • Because he is clever therefore (or so) he gets good marks.   (wrong)
    • Because he is clever, he gets good marks.   (correct)
    • Explanation : In a clause-effect sentence, if the cause is indicated by 'because', the result clause doe not need 'therefore'. 
  7.  
    • He did not come to school. Because he was ill.   (wrong)
    • He did not come to school because he was ill.  (correct)
      • Explanation : The clause that indicates the cause cannot be separated from the clause that indicates its effect. 
  8.  
    • No sooner I had spoken, than he left.   (wrong)
    • No sooner had I spoken than he left.   (correct)
      • Explanation : Just like 'never', if a sentence begins with 'no sooner', the auxiliary precedes the subject. 
  9.  
    • I have bought many fireworks, such as rockets and etc.   (wrong)
    • I have bought many fireworks, such as rockets.   (correct)
      • Explanation : It would be good if that overworked Latin abbreviation 'etc.' was forbidden in all composition. 
  10.  
    • I want to know as to why I have been detained.   (wrong)
    • I want to know why I have been detained.   (correct)
      • Explanation : In modern English 'as to' is not needed to connect a clause with the main clause. 
  11.  
    • This is my friend, he was at school with me.   (wrong)
    • This is my friend who was at school with me.   (correct)
      • Explanation : 'Who' is needed if the relative clause is attached to the noun phrase 'my friend'.
Shared by Bhargav Gupta Yechuri
 sponsored links

Let's block ads! (Why?)

Common Errors in English Usage with Explanations - Part 30 4.5 5 Yateendra sahu July 9, 2016 sponsored links   Rita was as good a singer as her.   ( wrong ) Rita was as good a singer as she.   ( correct ) Explanation : ...


Load comments

No comments:

Post a Comment