Common Errors in English Usage with Explanations - Part 32

July 11, 2016    

sponsored links

  1.  
    • This is an interesting book, I am reading it. (wrong)
    • The book which I am reading is interesting.   (correct)
      • Explanation : The relation clause must be attached to the noun it is about. 
  2.  
    • I am glad for tomorrow is holiday. (wrong)
    • I am glad because tomorrow is a holiday.   (correct)
      • Explanation : As the second is the reason, it should be attached to the main clause by because, 'for' can be used as a conjunction in place of 'because' or 'since' in some cases. 
  3.  
    • This paper is inferior than that. (wrong)
    • This paper is inferior to that.   (correct)
      • Explanation : With 'inferior' and 'superior', the comparative mark of preposition is 'to'. 
  4.  
    • I am ill since three months. (wrong)
    • I have been ill for three months.   (correct)
      • Explanation : When reckoning from a particular date, we use 'since', e.g., 'since last Fricay', 'since July 8th'; but we always use 'for' for a period, e.g., 'for a week', 'for a long time'. 
  5.  
    • This is my first time to play cricket sine a long time. (wrong)
    • I have not played cricket for a long time.   (correct)
    • This is my first game of cricket for a long time.   (correct)
      • Explanation : For a period of time without a fixed starting point, we use 'for'. 
  6.  
    • This is different to that. (wrong)
    • This is different from that.   (correct)
      • Explanation : Different takes the preposition 'from'.
  7.  
    • This resembles to that. (wrong)
    • This resembles that.   (correct)
      • Explanation : No preposition is used between resembles and its object. 
  8.  
    • Everyone should pray God. (wrong)
    • Everyone should pray to God.   (correct)
      • Explanation : Between pray and its object we use 'to'.
  9.  
    • He wrote me.  (wrong)
    • He wrote to me.   (correct)
      • Explanation : Between write and its indirect object we use 'to' (e.g. He wrote a letter to me). 
  10.  
    • I shall explain them this.  (wrong)
    • I shall explain this to them.   (correct)
      • Explanation : Between explain and its indirect object, we use 'to'. 
  11.  
    • Send this letter on my address.  (wrong)
    • Send this letter to my address.   (correct)
      • Explanation : If a verb needs a direct (e.g., this letter) and an indirect object, we use 'to' before the indirect object (e.g., to me).
Shared by Bhargav Gupta Yechuri
 sponsored links

This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service - if this is your content and you're reading it on someone else's site, please read the FAQ at http://ift.tt/jcXqJW.
Recommended article from FiveFilters.org: Most Labour MPs in the UK Are Revolting.

Common Errors in English Usage with Explanations - Part 32 4.5 5 Yateendra sahu July 11, 2016 sponsored links   This is an interesting book, I am reading it. ( wrong ) The book which I am reading is interesting.   ( correct ) ...


Load comments

No comments:

Post a Comment