Common Errors in English Usage with Explanations - Part 19

June 27, 2016    

sponsored links

  1.  
    • Harry is confident on my success.  (wrong)
    • Harry is confident of my success.  (correct)
      • Explanation : One can show confidence in someone but be confident of something. 
  2.  
    • This can happen with anybody.  (wrong)
    • This can happen to anybody .  (correct)
    • Explanation : Happen to means 'be experienced by'. Something may happen to someone. 
  3.  
    • I am not at all familiar by the text.  (wrong)
    • I am not at all familiar with the text.   (correct)
      • Explanation : To be familiar with means 'to have a good knowledge of'. It is a fixed expression. 
  4.  
    • Did you participate with the wrestling competition ? (wrong)
    • Did you participate in the wrestling competition ?  (correct)
      • Explanation : One always partipate (i.e takes part) in some activity. 
  5.  
    • I prefer fresh lime water than cold drinks.  (wrong)
    • I prefer fresh lime water to cold drinks.   (correct)
      • Explanation : Prefer needs 'to', and no other preposition, so does preference (to).
  6.  
    • I should receive what is doe on me.  (wrong)
    • I should receive what is due to me.   (correct)
      • Explanation : With due (in the sense of something that is moral or legal obligation) 'to' is used. 
  7.  
    • They fought on the injustice.  (wrong)
    • They fought against the injustice.   (correct)
      • Explanation : If one fights to achieve something, we use 'for', if we strive to oppose or stop something, we use 'against'. 
  8.  
    • You cannot prevent him of getting the job.  (wrong)
    • You cannot prevent him from getting the job.   (correct)
      • Explanation : Prevent means 'to stop something from happening' and is followed by 'from'. 
  9.  
    • I thank all of you by behalf of my family and me.  (wrong)
    • I thank all of you on behalf of my family and me.   (correct)
      • Explanation : The phrase is 'on behalf of'. It is an invariable expression. 
  10.  
    • Soon they got on their difficulties.  (wrong)
    • Soon they got over their difficulties.   (correct)
      • Explanation : Got over means 'overcome' or 'recover from'; got on means 'continue doing something'. The latter is inappropriate in this context. 
  11.  
    • One must try to live in his or her modest means.  (wrong)
    • One must try to live within his or her modest means.   (correct)
      • Explanation : Within means inside the range of an area or boundary whereas 'in' suggests the situation of something inside something else. In this context, 'within' is more appropriate.

Let's block ads! (Why?)

Common Errors in English Usage with Explanations - Part 19 4.5 5 Yateendra sahu June 27, 2016 sponsored links   Harry is confident on my success.  ( wrong ) Harry is confident of my success.  ( correct ) Explanation : One c...


Load comments

No comments:

Post a Comment