Direct And Indirect Speech Questions For SSC CGL Exam 2018: 25 May

May 25, 2018    

Dear Students,

Following 75 Days SSC CGL Study Plan by ADDA247 and SSCADDAA, the platform is all set to deliver the quizzes and notes on each four subjects asked in SSC CGL Tier-1 Examination. Quizzes are developed under the consideration of latest pattern and level of Exam whereas notes deal with understanding the concepts, formulae, rules and sharpening your revision skills. Be a part of this study plan, visit SSCADDA website regularly to add up each day effort in your practice. SSC CGL Exam is to be conducted from 25 July to 20 August 2018. Meanwhile, SSC CPO Exam is to be held from 4 June to 10 June 2018, It is time to knuckle down to get your dream job.

Today, in this English quiz we are providing 15 Direct and Indirect Questions with detailed solutions. To make you learn English Grammar Rules effectively is the motive behind the provided quiz. Attempt this quiz and prepare yourself flawlessly. We wish you good luck for the upcoming Exams.

Directions (1-15): In the following questions, change the Statements given in Direct Speech form into Indirect Speech or vice versa, with the help of given four options (A),(B),(C),(D).

Q1. Rama said, “I must go there at once.”
(a) Rama said that she must go there at once.
(b) Rama said that she had to go there at once.
(c) Rama said that she should have gone there at once.
(d) Rama said that she has to go there at once.
Show Answer
S1. Ans.(b)
Sol. Reporting verb ‘said’ in Direct Speech→‘said that’ in Indirect Speech.  When ‘must’ is used in Reported speech in the context of Present/Future, it changes into ‘have to/has to/had to/will have to etc.
as Reporting verb ‘said’ was in ‘Past Indefinite Tense’. Hence, must → ‘had to.’


Q2. Sameer said to his boss, “Let me go home.”
(a) Sameer requested his boss to allow him to go home.
(b) Sameer requested his boss to allow him for going to home.
(c) Sameer ordered his boss to allow to let him go.
(d) Sameer ordered his boss that he should go home.
Show Answer
S2. Ans.(a)
Sol. When ‘let’ is used in sense of ‘allowing for’.
Then, said to → requested.
Reported speech will begin from ‘to allow’ and add ‘to’ before the use of main verb.
Hence option A is correct.


Q3. He said to his friends, “Let’s go to the movies.”
(a) He told his friends they should go to the movies.
(b) He proposed to his friends they should go to the movies.
(c) He proposed to his friends that they should have gone to the movies.
(d) He proposed to his friends that they should go to the movies.
Show Answer
S3. Ans.(d)
Sol. When ‘let’ is used in sense of suggestion, change ‘said to’ → proposed.
In the presence of an object after ‘Reported verb’, add ‘to’ after ‘proposed/suggested.’
Replace inverted commas with ‘that’ and add ‘should + V₁’ after ‘subject’ of ‘Reported speech’.

Q4. She said, “Let’s go for a walk.”
(a) She suggested that they should go for a walk.
(b) She suggested going for a walk.
(c) She suggested to go for a walk.
(d) She suggested that they should go on a walk.
Show Answer
S4. Ans.(b)
Sol. If there is no ‘object’ after ‘Reporting verb’ then add, ‘V + ing’ right after suggested/proposed.
Hence option B is the right usage.


Q5. You said to your wife, “What are you doing”?
(a) You asked your wife that what she was doing.
(b) You asked your wife what she was doing.
(c) You told your wife what she was doing.
(d) You asked your wife what was she doing.
Show Answer
S5. Ans.(b)
Sol. Before Reported Speech i.e. before interrogative word of Wh-family (Who, What, Why, When), no conjunction is used.
And Reported Speech is converted into ‘Assertive’.
i.e., verb + Subject → Subject + Verb

Q6. She said to Moni, “Can you help me”?
(a) She asked Moni that if she could help her.
(b) She asked Moni to help her.
(c) She asked Moni if she can help her.
(d) She asked Moni if she could help her.
Show Answer
S6. Ans.(d)
Sol. ‘Said to’ → ‘asked’.
If answer is expected in Yes/No in ‘Reported Speech’ then add if/whether before ‘Reported Speech’ in Indirect Speech.

Q7. “If you don’t keep quiet I shall shoot you,” he said to her in a calm voice.
(a) He warned her to shoot if she didn’t keep quiet calmly.
(b) He said calmly that I shall shoot you if you don’t be quiet.
(c) He warned her calmly that he would shoot her if she didn’t keep quiet.
(d) Calmly he warned her that be quiet or else he will have to shoot her.
Show Answer
S7. Ans.(c)
Sol. Present Indefinite Tense in Reporting Speech → Past Indefinite Tense in Reported Speech
Shall → Should/would accordingly.
As the sentence gives a sense of warning, Reporting verb ‘warned’ will be used before the object.

 Q8. He said, “I saw a book here.”
(a) He said that he saw a book here.
(b) He said that he saw a book there.
(c) He said that he had seen a book there.
(d) He said that a book was shown by him there.
Show Answer
S8. Ans.(c)
Sol. Said → said that
Direct speech Indirect speech
Past Indefinite tense of Reported speech in Direct speech → Past Perfect Tense in Indirect speech
Hence option C is the correct usage.

Q9. Sonia said to me, “I will do it now or never.”
(a) Sonia told me that she would do it now or never.
(b) Sonia told me that she would do it then or never.
(c) Sonia told that she would do it then or never.
(d) Sonia told to me she would do it then or never.
Show Answer
S9. Ans.(b)
Sol. Said to (R.V) in Direct speech → told (R.V) in Indirect Speech
will → would
now → then

Q10. He said to them, “Don’t make a noise.”
(a) He told them to not make noise.
(b) He asked them not to make a noise.
(c) He asked them to not to make a noise.
(d) He begged them not to make a noise.
Show Answer
S10. Ans.(b)
Sol. Said to (R.V) in Direct Speech → asked (R.V) in Indirect Speech.
Reported Speech in Direct Speech → Reported Speech in Indirect Speech.
Don’t + verb + object not to + verb + object.


Q11. He said, “Can you sing?” And I said, “No.”
(a) He asked me if I could sing and I said that I couldn’t.
(b) He asked me that could I sing and I refused.
(c) I denied, when he asked me if I could sing.
(d) He asked me if I could sing and I said that ‘No’.
Show Answer
S11. Ans.(a)
Sol. Said (R.V) in Direct Speech → asked (R.V) in Indirect Speech.
‘Can + sub + verb’ will be replaced by ‘If + Subject + verb’.


Q12. He said, “I must go next week.”
(a) He said that he must go next week.
(b) He said that he must go the following week.
(c) He said that he would have to go the following week.
(d) He said that he was to go the following week.
Show Answer
S12. Ans.(c)
Sol. Explanation same as 1st question.

Q13. He said, “The mice will play, when the cat is away.”
(a) He said that the mice will play when the cat is away.
(b) He said that the mice would play when the cat was away.
(c) He said that the mice would play when the cat would be away.
(d) He said that the mice shall play, when the cat was away.
Show Answer
S13. Ans.(b)
Sol. Will in (Reported Speech) in Direct Speech → ‘would’ in Indirect Speech.
Present Indefinite Tense of Reported → Past Indefinite Tense in Indirect Speech
Speech in Direct Speech
Hence option B is correct.

Q14. He said to me, “Where is my home?”
(a) He asked me that where my home was.
(b) He asked me where my home was.
(c) He asked me where was my home.
(d) He wanted to know where my home was.
Show Answer
S14. Ans.(b)
Sol. Explanation is same as 5th Question.

Q15. I don’t know the way. Do you?” he asked.
(a) He said that he didn’t know the way and did I know it.
(b) He told that he was not knowing the way, but wondered if I knew.
(c) He said that he didn’t know the way and asked me if I did.
(d) He asked me if I knew the way which he didn’t.
Show Answer
S15. Ans.(c)
Sol. Interrogative part ‘Do you’ will follow the Direct-Indirect Speech’s same Rule as 11th Question and Primary part, which is in Present Indefinite Tense in Reported Speech in Direct Speech will take Past Indefinite Tense in Indirect Speech.



You may also like to read:



- https://www.sscadda.com/2018/05/direct-and-indirect-speech-questions-for-ssc-cgl-2018-exam.html
Direct And Indirect Speech Questions For SSC CGL Exam 2018: 25 May 4.5 5 Yateendra sahu May 25, 2018 Dear Students, Following 75 Days SSC CGL Study Plan by ADDA247 and SSCADDAA,  the platform is all set to deliver the quizzes...


Load comments

No comments:

Post a Comment